Monday, March 26, 2012

Marlene's Quilt


Okay, finally some pictures of this super cute quilt. I have quilted for Marlene before - here and here, so third quilt for her and I had so much fun with this quilt. It was the first time I used my new curved rulers - I love how fun it was using a new tool that gives me more options as far as the quilting is concerned. So, before I go on about the quilting, here are the quilt facts in Marlene's own words:

The pattern is Down in the Garden by Leanne Beasley of Australia. I like to make changes to patterns so I added the wool in place of some embroidery and changed some of the flowers. The fabric line I used was Wild Rose by Blackbird Designs.

2

I used two layers of batting, one layer was Hobbs 100% cotton and the other layer was Hobbs 80/20 - I like the combo, it works well and showcases the quilting better.  I also tried Glide thread for the first time, it worked incredibly well - both bobbin and top thread.

So anyway, check out these little beauties!  It was a little tricky maneuvering the curved ruler to get these arches, but I figured it out eventually.  The rulers I used were recommended to me by Jenny, I bought the arc sets, size 12-23" from Renae.  The ruler I used in this quilt was the 12-13" arc. I do like the rulers and I am sure I will be incorporating more of these into my quilts.  


3

Isn't it fun how these corners look a little like an owl face?  Can you see it?  I can........

The inside design of the curves is my design and I have it available as a pdf file here.  I am working on getting downloadable pdf files, but for now I will have to email them to you.  This design will include two ways to use this design.  

4

The inside borders took some time, I had to mark the 1/2 inch diagonals from each side of the quilt and then quilt them, my straight edge ruler helps with accuracy and the squiggle lines in between give them a fun dimension.  

8

This quilt really was a joy to work on because it is a sampler and I can just have fun with the quilting.  Everything is free motion quilting and I love that I got up close and personal to the embroidery, which was done beautifully Marlene! 

17

Close up, I just love the way the thread sparkles in the sunshine.  

13

It was fun taking some of the blocks and just quilting around the design of the fabric.  The flower here looks so much better showcasing it rather than covering it up with some random quilting design.  

25

It really was just fun, it was time intensive - but fun.  

26

I have a new goal and that is to try and stipple really small - and well - I have some practicing to do.  

27

The back of this quilt tells it's own story, that's for sure.  I love that Marlene sent muslin for the backing.  I always love to show off the quilting and this quilt turned out incredible as a double sided quilt.  

28

Owl face again, do you see it now?  

29

31

35

I am proud of how the stitches look on the back - the tension is always so important and I love seeing the thread on the back of my quilts.  

40

 I had a hard time narrowing down the pictures for this post, so I have a ton more pictures on my flickr page.  Just click on one of the pictures and you can see all the pictures that I couldn't include.  

Reality is back and in full swing, thanks for all the sweet comments on my last post.  Clint and I now have a code word for when it gets a little stressful (kids screaming) around this house - we just look at each other and say "Maui." 

61 comments:

Laura G said...

Really outstanding embroidering ,piecing and quilting. Congratulations to both of you

Auntie Pami said...

Oh my goodness! your batteries are totally recharged. This is amazing!

Lauren said...

I cannot get over how amazing your quilting is. I can barely sew a straight line! Absolutely gorgeous.

Ellie-Mae said...

Wow. That's just breath takiing. Congratulations.

Tracey Jacobsen said...

your quilting is magical. ♥

Pat Merkle said...

Oh WOW,WOW,WOW!!! My goodness that is some out of this world quilting.

Melissa Corry said...

Judi, this is Stunning!!!! I love the gold thread you used, it just adds to the amazing overall effect.

Missy Shay said...

What a gorgeous piece of artwork!

Barbara McD said...

Beautiful quilting!!! What thread did you use?

Melinda said...

So pretty! I love how she changed it up! It would not be the same without the wool bits!

Raylene Smith said...

I really like how you approached the border...such lovely texture...it looks wonderful..

Vicki W said...

Beautiful quilting, as always!

Leeanne said...

Maui....love that!!!
Your quilting is as always stunning! You bobbin thread looks like a metallic.

Sarah Craig said...

Once again, I'm blown away by your quilting! Absolutely awesome!!! (And a beautiful quilt, too!)

mary mahoo said...

That is a beautiful quilt that Marlene did a wonderful job of. However, your quilting is absolutely stunning, breathtaking, phenomenal (no, I'm not going to stalk you!LOL)and brought the quilt to life.

Dawn Hendrix said...

Simply AMAZING... I can't stop looking at the pictures...

Nedra said...

Judi, you are such a Master. I am continually amazed by your creativity and design work.

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Que preciosidad!!! es una verdadera obra de arte!! cuantos detalles y cuantísimas horas de trabajo, enhorabuena.

Chelo

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

It looks jaw dropping gorgeous! I love the trapunto-like quilting in the inner border and the fans in the outer-border. The back itself looks like a whole cloth quilt! Beautifully done!

Michele said...

Your quilting is beyond amazing!

V A N I A said...

Bellissimo!!!
da restare senza fiato.
il lavoro di quiltatura e' splendido!!!
il quilt favoloso!!!

Me and My Stitches said...

You just never cease to amaze me. I absolutely love everything you quilt! Wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing!

Christie said...

Absolutely incredible. That quilting and piecing and embroidery is amazing.

Regina C. said...

I love the quilt and the quilting, very beautiful.

debbowers said...

You have such a gift for quilting. I'm amazed with every quilt I see.

Gramma Quilter said...

Stunning!!!!

Linda said...

Simply stunning, Judi!!! As always, so inspiring. This is going to the top of my favorite list of the quilts you've worked your incredible talent on!! Isn't Glide thread awesome?? It runs like butter through our machines!! I'm loving the micro-stipple too. I used to not think of it that highly, but it really makes the surrounding quilting pop!! Again, gorgeous quilting!!

Eva said...

I love that quilt! Very nice!

Think Outside the Box said...

Gorgeous quilt and amazing quilting, you did a terrific job as usual Judi!

matate10 said...

Beautiful quilting!!! that thread really showed up nicely. Never heard of it before. but I really like the way it looks. very, very nice, Judi!!

Karen said...

Unbelievable!... such artistry!

nativetexangirl said...

Amazing quilting on an amazing quilt. Just stunning! Donna

Donna Becker said...

This has got to be an award-winning quilt!
The combination of needlework types, variety of fabrics and selection of motifs is perfect -- all surrounded by your stellar quilting. The quilt as a whole is balanced and beautiful!
It's so much fun to see your work grow by leaps and bounds. Congratulations on this superb project!

baukje said...

My goodness, did you quilt this???? It's hardly impossible to believe. REALLY STUNNING. I wish you were in France, so you could quilt my quilts too.....

Larissa said...

As always you have done a spectacular job in quilting this quilt Judi!!! Your choices have just lifted this quilt from being gorgeous to absolutely spectacular!!! ... Wish it was coming home with me, lol!!!

My Old Quilting Soul said...

Really. Just, holy cow! That back is AMAZING!

Unknown said...

Wow, stunning work! It looks so amazing from the back too.

Anonymous said...

I thank the Heavens that you blog, if not, how would we all see, drool, and admire your amazing artistry in thread. Another exquisite piece of work!

Anonymous said...

I thank the Heavens that you blog, if not, how would we all see, drool, and admire your amazing artistry in thread. Another exquisite piece of work!

Anonymous said...

I thank the Heavens that you blog, if not, how would we all see, drool, and admire your amazing artistry in thread. Another exquisite piece of work!

Jenny said...

I can just stare all day at your quilting!! Love it and I love what you did on the border with your curved ruler!!

Pink Ribbon Quilts said...

Award worthy, absolutely beautiful!!! LOVE IT!

Barbara M. said...

I already said to you weeks ago..you are absolutely a fairy quilter. Fantastic! Barbara from Italy

Leslie said...

Three things — Whose makes that ruler? What thread and color did you use?

Montserrat said...

ESPECTACULAR. es una pequeña gran obra de arte. me encanta tu trabajo. fantastic¡¡ Montse from Spain.

Susan P said...

How lucky someone is to have you do their quilting. You never cease to amaze. Also, Marlene's work is beautiful too!

Miss Jean said...

This is certainly one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen. Your quilting certainly adds to the overall "awesomeness" of this beauty. Do you happen to know what the line of fabric is she used?

Suzette said...

Your quilting turns a beautiful quilt into a piece of art. I notice that you use a double layer of batting most of the time-so here are the questions. Why the combination of different batting? How do you set it up on your long arm? Thanks!

paulette said...

OMGosh!! You are like a painter adding that final touch!! Magnificent!!!!!
P

Marisa said...

"Que preciosidad", ¿como lo ha Hecho? Que cantidad de trabajo, "me encanta" felicidades, es un gran privilegio saber hacer un trabajo así. Marisa.

Montseta - Montsecosecose said...

I think this is the most beautiful quilting I've ever seen.... the quilt is beautiful but your quilting just made it such an unique and wonderful piece!

trelly said...

OMG amazing quilt and AMAZING quilting work! Where can I see the price of your quilting services? A big hug from Spain

Carrie P. said...

Wowweee! Stunning!

StasaLynn said...

Absolutely beautiful..... I am in awe.

Stacey

marina said...

Marlene's quilt is just breathtaking. I am making this design in fabrics different to the original too. I like to alter bits and bobs too but her changes are superb. Your quilting..ooh, I can't even find the words -amazing.

Helen L said...

WOW!! That is some amazing quilting on an amazing quilt!!! Love what you did to it: it took it up another dimension!!

Fiona said...

Inspirational... I just love it.. the quilt is gorgeous but your quilting has just highlighted it amazingly... I will be back often to have a look...
Hugz

Melody said...

This is the most beautiful quilting I've ever seen. Literally took my breath away.

Sheila said...

I am like Melody , it took my breath away , wow , incredibly beautiful and the quilting is amazing ,you both should be very proud of your work !!!

Judy said...

It gives new meaning to the word BEAUTIFUL. It really is amazing. The backing is so pretty. Your quilting is something to aspire to. Wonderful.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

I just stare in awe at your quilting! Amazing!